Thursday, December 9, 2010

Walking Through the Valley of Shadow

Most of us face significant challenges through our lives. For some people, it seems life is just one long walk through the "valley of shadow" King David referred to in Psalm 23. For many of us, trials and tragedy can become a stumbling block for our faith. If we look carefully at what the bible says about God and humanity, then there is no need for us to be confused by our trials.

Among many other things, the bible is a story about choices and right and wrong. Often, it is a story about bad choices and their consequences. Freedom of choice was part and parcel of God making man in His Own Image. Sin and death and tragedy is part and parcel of man rejecting God's standards of right and wrong. The death and tragedy that inevitably result from sin touch not only the sinner, but all of humanity. Lies breed more lies, hate breeds more hate, and on it goes... only with God's help can we break that vicious cycle. We can choose to do right, but that doesn't mean we will be free from the pain that comes from other peoples sins.

Too often when I am hurt by life, I look for someone to blame. On a good day I may look inward to see if I am the source of my pain. Sometimes I am. If I'm not, I may look for someone else to blame. Life in this wretched world simply isn't that simple. As an analogy, it's like victims of the Chernobyl disaster trying to blame themselves for radiation sickness, or looking for some radioactive source in their own homes as the cause of their illness. Sin can be like a nuclear meltdown or pumping toxic waste into a waterway - the effects can be incredibly far-reaching and hard to predict. Unlike a nuclear meltdown, sin is so prevalent that it is almost impossible to find The Cause of many trials or tragedies that we face.

It is essential that we take responsibility for our own actions and inactions and repent of our wrong-doings. I believe it is destructive, however, to expect that righteousness will bring us physical comfort, peace and prosperity, and that the bad things that happen to us are *automatically* a result of our personal sin. Obeying God out of a sense of self-preservation doesn't exactly foster a close relationship with God... in fact it totally misses the point.

When tragedy strikes, we often respond by doing everything we (think we) can to prevent the same thing happening again. In doing so, we are often unconsciously saying "God abandoned me last time, so I'd better look after it myself this time round".

God doesn't promise His followers that they will never have to walk through the valley of shadow - in fact, He warns us not to be surprised by fiery trials and even told us to rejoice in them! Many of His most faithful witnesses suffered terribly, so why shouldn't we suffer also? Fear of pain and suffering can be incredibly debilitating and really stunt our Christian growth.

For me the important thing to remember is that God is there, whether I am in the valley or on the mountain. He has walked me through some terrifying shadows and I made it out the other side. He has also watched me on the mountain when life is "cruisy" and seen me squander the benefits of good health and abundant energy on completely frivolous pursuits. In the end, it's not where I am, but who I become that counts.

No comments: