Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Quit Judging Me!

I hear it (and, if I'm being honest, think it) a lot - comments like "I wish people would quit judging me!"; "I feel so judged"; "they have no right to judge me!"

People who call themselves christians can often be heard to quote "judge not, that you be not judged". What don't get quoted any near as much are the numerous scripture that exhort us to speak up when we see someone doing the wrong thing.

Just what did Jesus mean when he said "judge not"? Did he mean "pretend you don't see blatant sin"? ... That would make him a hypocrite, considering the way he spoke to the Pharisees. As the son of God, Jesus certainly wasn't a hypocrite!

It's not my intent to write a sermon, but I'd like to make a few observations. Often when I hear "I wish people would quit judging me," it comes from someone who is headed for trouble, but resents the words of caution from those who love them. I've been the one headed for trouble myself - the one who wouldn't listen. Those urging caution were expressing their love and concern for me... something the bible tells us we should do when we are able. For me to call their concern "judging" was arrogant in the extreme.

Consider an analogy... you're standing at the edge of the road with a friend, waiting to cross. You've checked for cars and decided it's all clear (or maybe you haven't even checked). As you begin to step out, your friend, who has spotted a truck flying round the corner, yells "Look out!" If you walk right out onto the road while berating your friend for judging you, you'll become crow food. In an act of pig-headedness you not only lose your own life, but leave your friend traumatised.

Most of us are smart enough to stop when someone yells "look out!" while we're crossing the road. Not many of us are smart enough to stop when a true friend gently suggests that we're headed for an emotional or psychological train wreck that may cause great pain to others as well as ourselves. Instead, we step right out in front of that truck, all the while bemoaning the fact that we're being "judged".

And yet, when you or I are complaining about being judged, aren't we even more guilty? After all, when a friend urges us not to step out in front of a truck, they are simply observing a danger we haven't seen and trying to protect us from harm. They probably aren't thinking, "wow! She's so stupid stepping out in front of that truck - she deserves to get hurt." Yet when we accuse our friend of judging us, we assume that we understand the intent of their heart - something that God tells us only He can see. Warning a friend against an imminent emotional train wreck is rarely a pleasant exercise. The loving friend is unlikely to experience a buzz of satisfaction or that "high" that comes from a random act of kindness. In fact, someone who has the courage to speak up is more likely to end up rejected and possibly even publicly humiliated as a reward for their pains.

Jesus calls us to the ultimate challenge - turning His words inward on ourselves, not outward toward others. He didn't say "don't ever let anyone judge you". In fact, He told us to be like little children - teachable and humble.

So... if you ever have anything difficult to say to me, trying yelling "look out!" first - maybe then I'll stop and listen! :)

No comments: