Monday, December 6, 2010

This Story Has A Happy Ending...

...but too many don't.

Chatterbox disappeared in a shopping centre a while back. One minute she was by my side and the next she was gone. Thankfully, after a desperate prayer, we found her outside another shop, crying.

What makes me feel sick - apart from the fact that she could have been gone forever - is that while I was running in and out of shops, yelling her name, everyone else in the shopping centre carried on as if nothing was happening. Including two mothers sitting peacefully and drinking their coffees with their own children safely in prams.

It was absolutely my own fault that I didn't keep a closer eye on Chatterbox. I don't hold anyone else responsible for that, but I find it disturbing that everyone in a busy shopping centre ignored the fact that I had clearly lost a child...and ignored the crying child separated from her mother.

What are we doing to ourselves? How is it that we are SO hardened to the pain of others that we hesitate to step in and help when we see a real need?

Only a few weeks after that incident I saw exactly the same thing happen to another mother. No one moved a muscle (except yes, I did, because I knew what it felt like!) to help, not even the friends she had been talking to minutes before.

I am so thankful that each passing day takes us one day closer to what this country really needs, not a change of government, but a change of heart.

No comments: