Saturday, February 18, 2012

Exercise - It CAN Be Done!

About six years ago, the Raamonster and I went for a bike ride with the only two kids we had at the time. I remember being completely exhausted and totally unmotivated to repeat the experience any time soon.

I rode to the same spot recently... and then way past it with Baby on the back of my bike and the three older girls riding ahead of me. Many thoughts went through my head as I cruised past the playground we visited so many years ago. The main one was I can't believe how unfit I was!

What's exciting is that now I am finally getting fit and healthy again. I was going to say that it all started four weeks ago, but no, it all started six months ago. My lovely, energetic, and awesome friend at Strollerobics demonstrated just by her great example that it is important to be as healthy as we can and that it can be done. And hey, if I can do it, anyone (barring insurmountable obstacles such as being bed-bound) can do it.

It took me a while to really get going - for a while I was jogging on the spot while hanging out the washing or finding ways to exercise before the kids got up in the morning, but then I dropped the ball. Now, though I have well and truly picked it up again. An important part of picking up that ball was realising that I'm not just responsible for my personal fitness, but my kids' fitness as well.

So, while the weather is fine, we're going to the park most mornings (a couple of days we've been for bike rides, we went to a nature reserve once and we've also been swimming a couple of times instead) right after Bible time. At the park, the girls have been riding their bikes around or running around and playing while I run/walk around the perimeter and do the occasional push up or sit up.

For ages I've made excuses for myself about why getting fit is too hard. Admittedly, a pregnancy can always throw a spanner in the works (at least that's an excuse I don't have at the moment!). But I finally realised it was time to ditch the excuses and find something that would work.

If you're unfit and full of excuses like I was, it helps to look at what is important and what can be done. Going to the gym before my husband leaves for work is unachievable and undesirable for me for many reasons (I really struggle with early mornings, the cost is prohibitive, etc, etc.) Getting outside as much as possible is important for me because my mental health suffers if I don't spend time outside in the sun regularly.

Taking a good hard look at my reality and what really matters helped me to get out of my rut (plus the positive influence of that wonderful friend!). And, importantly - trying stuff was a huge step in the right direction. I tried a few mornings to go for a run early in the morning - I enjoyed the benefits of better sleep and improved energy levels, but soon realised I couldn't possibly sustain the 5.30 or 6.00 am start necessary to keep this up. Even though I realised that that wasn't going to work, I suddenly found myself motivated to find something that would work.

So if you're stuck in the sedentary rut - just try something to get moving - you may well find (like me) that the more you try, the more you start looking for ways to make fitness work and the more open you are to possibilities. It's OK to start small - I'm exercising longer and harder than I was to start with, and feeling the benefits (apart from some knee problems that I'll have to learn to work around :().

Truly - it can be done - why don't you give it a try and tell me how you go?

No comments: