Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Cosleeping?!*


I think cosleeping is a lovely idea. But. I don't feel guilty about not cosleeping with my Baby. Nope. Not at all. I'm writing this for anyone who does feel guilty because they don't or (perhaps more often) didn't cosleep.

Last night Baby slept in my bed. No. She didn't sleep in my bed. She played with my hair. She kicked me. She talked to herself. She certainly did not sleep. I thought it would be a good idea to have her in bed with me because she kept waking up and I thought she wasn't quite well. It wasn't.

Some might argue that it didn't work because she isn't used to sleeping with me. To which I say "pfffft, whatEVer." When she was (really) a baby I used to try to comfort her to sleep when she started to show tired signs. It actually didn't work. She would not go to sleep with me holding or patting her. She needed to be left alone. I speak the truth! (All our children, by the way, have slept with us for the first few days or weeks after birth.)

There are many lovely ideas out there. They don't all work. For me. What will always work for me (and for everyone) are the principles of Right and Wrong. Cosleeping isn't Right or Wrong. It's nice. If you get to sleep.

*This post is not meant to "knock" cosleeping. It's just a light-hearted reflection on a sleepless night. :)

2 comments:

Jen's Busy Days said...

My kids were all so different. I had one child who had reflux and would only settle successfully to sleep if I jiggled and danced my way around the kitchen to loud Shakira music. After that a baby who would sleep if I sang The Ants Go Marching about 30 times and gently rocked him while walking up and down the hallway. The last one didn't want to be cuddled, jiggled, sung to or anything. Just laid down to sleep.

Maybe the best type of attachment parenting is really awareness parenting, being aware of our own needs and those of each child and then doing our best to find a middle ground for each situation as it arises.

I don't think I would have been too impressed with your little co-sleeper either. :-)

Best wishes
Jen
PS Thanks for visiting me on a rant day.

skimbly said...

"Awareness parenting" - I like that! *That's* what it's all about. :) And you're welcome :)