Thursday, December 17, 2009

Bring On Baby Brain!

OK, so I would love to know what changes go on in mother's brains after having a new baby. I've recently read a book on neuroplasticity called The Brain That Changes Itself - although I disagree with its statements regarding evolution (of course), I would definitely recommend it as a fascinating and enlightening read. Reading about just how much the brain can and does change based on input and experience makes me wonder about the whole "baby brain" phenomenon. ("Baby brain" being the standard excuse for illogical/irrational thinking in new mothers.)

See, I've noticed a pattern. Three things consistently happen to me after having a baby. First, my spatial awareness deteriorates. In practical terms that means I stub my toes a lot and run into furniture. I know, I know - that could be just fatigue, but it often happens during the day, not just when I'm stumbling around the house half-asleep at night. Second, my hands and feet "go to sleep" at random times, not just when I'm sitting cross-legged or lying on my arms. And third is the dreams.

Soon after having each baby I started having dreams that are almost hallucinations. I feel like I'm awake and I'm fully aware of where I am, but I hear things that aren't there - usually someone walking around the room or talking. I've finally learned that if I can't open my eyes or speak, then whatever I am hearing is not real. Still, it's a pretty terrifying experience - lying immobilised and mute while hearing a stranger walking around my house in the middle of the night. The interesting thing is that as soon as I hear a REAL sound my body is able to fully wake up - even though my rational brain can't distinguish the real sound from the imaginary.

So I'm just pondering - wondering why these things happen after the birth of a new baby? How does my brain redirect its functions after birth to better enable me to care for Baby? And why does this make me loopy in the process?! I can only marvel at the Mind that created us this way.

2 comments:

Karen Redolfi said...

Hello,
I was just reading your blog and had to smile. Good thing that I met you before the baby because I know for sure you are not loopy. I wonder if having a baby makes you more spiritually aware?? Ok maybe I might be odd but since a baby comes from God and as you are receiving that new life from Heaven maybe that is why you fell that way. Or as you said it all is being a way to cope with the new arrival.

skimbly said...

Interesting thoughts... Yes, I think having a baby does make you more spiritually aware - you can really relate to how God feels about us as His children. Being a mother certainly makes me appreciate the patience, grace and abundant mercy of God a whole lot more! I really believe that the stumbling around is a physical thing, though, not spiritual - especially since it hurts!

And if you think I'm not loopy, maybe you just don't know me well enough yet ;) I'm glad I made you smile!